Change Login Location Settings in CounterGo
Intended to minimize the risk of unauthorized access, login locations require a high degree of technical sophistication to implement correctly. Implemented incorrectly, it can prevent your entire organization from accessing your data. Therefore, it is highly recommended that only the person responsible for IT infrastructure manage location-based security.
- Login Location is driven off of IP addresses ranges.
- Users must be selected for Login Location rules to apply - an empty list of Users means NO users fall under the location restrictions.
- The user option Login from anywhere overrides a user being included in a login location restriction. For example, adding user 'Buddy' to a Login Location called 'Office Only', if Buddy's user account has Login from anywhere checked, that user can still log in from anywhere, regardless of being included in the Login Location user list.
Considerations before setting up Login Locations:
- If your Office does not have a static IP address (meaning it can change), it is very dangerous and unwise to use location-based security.
- If a location of 'Office' is defined and properly implemented, only users who log in from your Office network will be allowed access. Mobile devices, home access, coffee shop access will all be denied, UNLESS a VPN (virtual private network) is set up so remote users can securely connect to the Office, then connect to Moraware.
- Identify which users should be restricted to a specific IP address or range of IP addresses.
Steps to change Login Location Settings:
- Go to Settings > System > Login Locations and click + Create at the top of the page.
- Specify a name and press the double check mark icon to select the users affected by this Login Location rule.
- Enter an IP address range (can be a single address) and click Save.
- Go to Settings > Users & Roles > Users
- For each user on the list of restricted users, confirm restrictions are in effect by inspecting the Login From column in the user list.
- For any user that is supposed to be restricted, but is showing a Login From of (Anywhere) click the username and uncheck "login from anywhere"